Save Money on Air Conditioning Costs
Raleigh residents may rush to turn their air conditioners on when the summer heat arrives. This can cause their homes to cool but also result in higher energy bills. This can leave them torn between indoor comfort and lower utility bills.
Fortunately, they might not have to choose. AC contractors have some tips for cooling homes without causing rising bills. These suggestions include installing programmable thermostats, adding weatherstripping around drafty areas, and better-utilizing ceiling fans to help cool down rooms.
Programmable and Smart Thermostats
AC technicians recommend installing programmable thermostats to provide better control over their indoor climate than nonprogrammable thermostats provide. These digital devices can provide numerous benefits, including:
- Precision and Accuracy: Digital thermostats provide precise temperature control. They have built-in sensors that accurately measure the ambient temperature, allowing homeowners to set their desired temperature more accurately.
- Programmable Settings: Most digital thermostats are programmable, allowing property owners to create customized temperature schedules throughout the day. They can set different temperatures for specific times or days of the week, ensuring optimal comfort and energy efficiency.
- Energy Efficiency: Digital thermostats can help reduce energy consumption and lower utility bills.
- Remote Access and Control: Many digital thermostats offer remote access via smartphone apps or web interfaces. This allows homeowners to control and monitor their thermostat settings from anywhere with an internet connection.
- User-Friendly Interface: Digital thermostats often feature user-friendly interfaces with clear displays and intuitive controls. They may have touchscreens, backlit screens, or even voice command capabilities, making navigating the settings and adjusting temperatures easier.
- Maintenance Alerts and Diagnostics: Some digital thermostats provide maintenance alerts and diagnostic information. They can notify homeowners when it’s time to change air filters, service the HVAC system, or if there are any issues detected.
- Data and Insights: Digital thermostats can collect and analyze temperature patterns and usage data. This can provide valuable insights into homeowners’ heating and cooling habits, energy consumption, and potential efficiency improvements.
If Raleigh homes have drafts around the windows or doors, homeowners can throw money away on cooling costs. Hot air may be entering their homes through the gaps, and the cool air produced by air conditioners can be leaving.
This can prevent homes from cooling to the temperature settings and cause AC systems to overwork. This wear and tear can lead to higher energy bills and cause systems to malfunction and need to be replaced sooner than expected.
To avoid these issues, technicians recommend adding weatherstripping around doors and windows to prevent these drafts. This easy-to-install solution will keep the cool air inside the house and the hot air outside.
Use the AC Less and Fans More
One of the easiest ways homeowners can save money on their cooling costs is by cutting down on their air conditioner usage and instead opting to use their ceiling fans more.
Relying solely on an air conditioner to cool the house can use much energy and cause bills to rise. Instead, they can reduce costs by turning down the AC and using ceiling fans – set counterclockwise when setting the ceiling fan direction – to cool rooms by circulating the air.
About Air Works Heating & Air
Since 2007, Air Works Heating & Air has provided quality heating and cooling services to the Raleigh area. They offer upfront pricing and guarantee 100% satisfaction with every job. Call them today for HVAC services in Franklinton, NC.